Under the direction of an RN the Surgical Support Aide is responsible for the coordination of supplies instrumentation and equipment in collaboartion with the operating room team. Maintains a clean and organized work environment. Facilitates efficient turn over of procedure rooms.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Medical Tech Registration or Licensed Nursing Assistant
- Anticipates; gathers and assists with preparation of instruments; supplies and equipment for procedures. Prepares case carts prior to procedures utilizing preference sheets. Performs quickly and reliably to gather supplies emergency situations with minimal direction.
- Maintains a state of readiness to facilitate efficient turnover. Assists in room setup; turnover; cleaning and restocking of supplies.
- Under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse; may be requested to assist with patient positioning; patient prepping and patient transfers.
- May perform reprocessing and cleaning of instruments and equipment according to manufacturer's direction.
- Performs quality assurance activities as directed by the charge nurse. On a daily basis maintains temperature logs of refrigerators and warmers.
- Maintains a clean work environment in accordance with regulatory requirements and hospital policy; such as damp dusting lights and horizontal surfaces; end of the day cleaning; removal of trash and laundry; cleaning equipment and cleaning of common areas.
- Organizes supplies: restocks operating rooms; linen carts; warmers and sub sterile areas based on par levels. Organizes; cleans and restocks scrub sink areas; puts away the daily storeroom order and weekly kitchen order; puts away unused supplies after cases and keeps equipment and storage areas organized.
- Transports equipment; blood products; supplies or specimens to or from other departments as requested.
- May perform Unit Coordinator duties such as filing; delivery of OR schedules; documenting add on information and answering phones as requested. May enter physician orders into Meditech system as directed.
- Observes open sterile fields as directed.