Assists Gastroenterologists, Pulmonologists, and General Surgeons as well as RNs and patients with interventional Endoscopic procedures.
Schedule is (4) 10hr shifts per week with varied start times between 6:30am - 8:30am; call rotation is one night per week and one weekend every 6th/7th - subject to change
1. Assists the RN in collection of data for an objective assessment to identify patient needs. May be cross trained to work in multiple areas including the admit/discharge area in Endo and OSC, in the Interventional Procedure area as a procedure assistant, and in the transport department.
2. Provides technical skills as a member of the team, communicating with supervisors, other staff members, other department staff members, physicians and anesthesiologists. Assists physician with various procedures including but not limited to: EGD, flexible sigmoidoscopies, Colonoscopies, Bronchoscopies, PEG/JPEG/NG placement and exchange, EBUS, diagnostic and therapeutic EUS procedures, ERCP. Fine needle aspiration, BRAVO etc. Troubleshoots equipment malfunctions.
3. Responsible for procedure room preparation and turnover. Gathers and organizes required supplies and non-controlled pharmaceuticals for procedures. Restocks supplies as needed; may order supplies. Ensures that travel carts used for emergency procedures are restocked and fully functional.
4. Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff by complying with regulatory agency requirements and hospital policy, including use of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment per hospital policy. Prepares room for isolation and protection of all staff from airborne diseases such as TB, including the use of air flow systems and special masks.
5. Maintains knowledge and awareness of professional and practice issues related to the field of endoscopy/gastroenterology and pulmonology. Attends in services and self identifies learning needs regarding equipment and procedures. SGNA certification strongly encouraged upon meeting eligibility requirements.
6. Enters data to include names of all staff present and scopes utilized into documentation system. Responsible for collection, labeling and handling all specimens collected during procedures.
7. Member of the Endoscopy Call Team. Remains calm in emergent situations; adapts readily to dynamic patient situations by having appropriate equipment selected and prepared for urgent utilization by the physician.
8. Participates in organizational and departmental performance improvement activities. May be an active member of the Unit Based Council, quality committees, RBC team etc.
9. Serves as a preceptor to train all new staff including new Endo techs and RNs. May assist in training MDs with new equipment.
10. Responsible for the decontamination/high level disinfection of all types of endoscopes according to equipment Manufacturers' guidelines and SGNA recommended practice. Maintains documentation records of reprocessing for quality purposes including all scope washer quality measures. Maintains records of sterilization, changes solutions as required, changes filters as required and does QCs as required.