Oversees the daily operations of the HIM Department to include general staff oversight, chart analysis, chart completion, record retention, document imaging, release of information (ROI), and DNV/ISO compliance. Oversight of the entire department in the absence of the Director.
· Post Secondary Education or equivalent; Bachelor's Degree preferred
· 3 to 5 years Supervisory/Management experience
· 4 years direct experience
· MS Office
· EMR/Practice Management software
· Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), Administrator (RHIA) or similar credentials preferred.
· Thorough knowledge of regulatory agency standards/laws/Rules and Regulations pertaining to HIM
· Strong communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team as well as be a team member. Ability to embrace change, make independent decisions and multi-task with a high attention to detail.
1. Ensures the integrity of the electronic medical record through quality measures for prepping, scanning, indexing, validating, analyzing and quality control of documents received in the department.
2. Oversees and leads staff, ensuring consistency with department and hospital policies. Coaches and assists in developing team members; disciplines, manages performance and counsels staff as necessary. Maintains current job descriptions and monitors staff goals and objectives regularly. Ensure all departmental initiatives support the mission, vision and values of the organization.
3. Obtains and reports productivity and quality monitoring as required with timely and consistent feedback to Director and staff. Coordinates the staff huddles each morning as needed. Attends other huddles as requested by Director.
4. Identifies opportunities to streamline current operations where possible and implements approved procedural changes, updates SOP's and Policies. Provides back-up for daily duties in areas where staffing may be temporarily compromised.
5. Works collaboratively with Director and/or Hospital/Medical Staff Leadership to comply with standards and guidelines with regard to timely record completion. Responsible for facilitation and execution of provider notification processes regarding medical record documentation deficiency, delinquency and relinquishment of privileges.
6. Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with all areas of the organization to ensure optimal record management. Attends the HIMC meetings and records Agenda and minutes.
7. Coordinates the discharge and concurrent chart audit process and reports findings, closes the loop on action items. Knows and stays current with DNV, ISO and CMS requirements for documentation and assists in all areas of DNV readiness.
8. Assists in department projects and initiatives as needed. Maintains, reviews, updates and submits department related policies and procedures with Director supervision.
9. Coordinates and ensures compliance with the records access, storage and retention practices.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.